My main intent for this blog is for those of you that I haven’t kept in close touch with and when I do finally talk to you and you ask the token question, “So what have you been up to?” and to this I respond “Oh, not much.” That’s not true! I really don’t lead a boring life, but when the time comes to tell about all the exciting things that are going on my mind hits a flat line. Thus comes “The Ballad of Kaycee Frederick”. Enjoy!

Thursday, September 07, 2006


MY LIFE STORY: The old...the new!



So for those of you who haven’t heard from me in a while, I’ll try to get you up to speed. The most recent news that I have is that I successfully defended my thesis in August. That’s right…Master Kaycee. That just sounds so much better than Doctor Kaycee and takes way less time to get! I don’t “officially” graduate until December. So this semester I am publishing my research and am a teaching assistant for radar meteorology. This naturally leads to the next logical question, “So what are you going to do after you graduate?” But to answer this I must take you back on a journey through time…roughly six years ago. I must warn to only take this journey with me if you have a little extra time…it’s a loooooonnngggg journey but an AWESOME one!

It was October of my freshman year of college. I was back in my hometown, Miller, SD, under unfortunate circumstances. A high school classmate had just died. I was driving from our ranch into town for his funeral and suddenly it dawned on me…a revelation like non I had experienced before…God was real and loved me.

What was interesting is that I was always pretty confident that God existed. Absolutely certain…hmmm…probably not. I had always wondered a lot about him. I used to wonder if I was good enough to get into heaven and what standards I should even be comparing myself to know if I was good enough. Should I compare myself to my mom, my dad, my pastor? I didn’t know. They all seemed like good people but who were they comparing themselves to in order to see if they were good enough for heaven?

What was even more interesting is that I was involved in our church. My family started going to church my sophomore year of high school. I was involved with the youth group and the worship team. If you would have asked I would have said I was a Christian. Strange thing was, I didn’t know much about Jesus. Sure, I heard his name a lot in church. But again, the questions just kept coming. Who is this Jesus guy really? Why did He even have to die such a terrible death for my sins anyway? What did that have to do with me? So is this Jesus guy a man or God? Ahhhh….what a migraine. Did I ask anyone these questions that were so overwhelming me? Yeah right…and have people look at me like I’m some sort of idiot who doesn’t know something that everyone else in the whole world seems to have figured out…no way…that’s not my style.

So when this “revelation” hit, I knew at that very moment that I had to figure this out. By the end of that following summer I had learned that sin had separated me and everyone on earth from this Holy God. Romans 3:23 says “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God”. So this answered my first question, “Was I good enough to get to heaven?”…according to the Bible, NO…not even close. That’s right; this sweet, brown eyed, curly haired girl was heading straight for hell and eternity spent without God. BUT, reading on to Romans 5:8, “while we were still sinners, Christ died for us”. YES! Finally, answers to my overwhelming questions. Come to find out, Jesus is both man and God! Wow! If this blows your mind, join the club. But it’s true…%100 man (1 Timothy 2:5 and Matthew 8:20) and %100 God (John 1:1 and Colossians 2:9)…check it out for yourself. So basically God put skin on and came down to earth to pursue us and died in our place (“for the wages of sin is death”-Romans 6:23) so that whoever believes in Jesus Christ will be saved from this eternal separation from God and be restored into a right relationship with him (Romans 6:23, Romans 10:9, John1:12 and Mark16:16). And when I say “believe”, I do not mean just to believe the facts…for example, that he existed. Like I said, I was pretty confident that he existed but that really isn’t enough because even the demons believe that He exists and know far more facts than I do and they shudder (James 2:19). You must have faith (Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 3:22-26, and 1 Peter 1:5) in Christ which allows you to accept him as your Lord (Mark 8:34-35) and your Savior (Romans 4:24).

“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.” – John 3:16-17

So is this blowing your mind yet? It should. It blows my mind. But I’m only getting started. As if Christ saving us from hell wasn’t enough…he saves us from a life of sin in this world too! The moment we are saved (this is a term Jesus used a lot…a shorter way of saying delivered from eternal condemnation) we are filled with the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 1:13-14) and we become a new creations (2 Corinthians 5:17). We aren’t the same sinful creatures anymore!

Now, I know most of you think I’m a pretty good person, but I’m really not apart from the grace of God. And most of you have probably always thought of me as a pretty happy person…I wasn’t. I was always very discontent with this life…always trying to find something to truly satisfy…a true sense of purpose. I was always insecure…always trying to earn love and never thinking that I deserved it. This led to a life depression, anxiety, drunkenness, and many other sinful things in which I will spare the details of for this blog. Some of you right now will need to pick up your jaw from the floor. Others are saying, “Yeah, I saw that in her”. And a select few of you would be able to fill in these “sinful details” I’m leaving out. But all this stuff doesn’t matter anymore. I am a new creation AND the Bible says “there is now NO condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus” –Romans 8:1. As my Pastor would say…Boom Shockalaka! I am now a new creation; the old is gone, the new has come! (2 Corinthians 5:17). Hallelujah!

I will say, however; that the most dramatic changes have taken place within the past two years. While a lot of things changed in me once I put my faith in Christ, there were a lot of things I was still holding on to. This then led me back into a spiral of depression and anxiety. I was being torn apart by living with one foot in Satan’s world and one foot in Christ’s world. But what was confusing is that for the first few years of my new Christian life, I didn’t think that there was anything wrong with continuing in these sins. After all the majority of “Christians” I knew lived like I did and the Bible does say “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith…not by works.” (Ephesians 2:8-9) So this means a Christian should be able to live however they want cause we’re covered by grace…right? WRONG! 1 John 2:3-6 says “We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands. The man who says, "I know him," but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But if anyone obeys his word, God's love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.”

So long story short (well this isn’t exactly short), through the power of God’s Holy Spirit in my life I was set free from the sin that I had become a slave to. I am truly a miracle of God and can in NO WAY take credit for any of these changes in my life. GOD is so AMAZING! If you have never experienced this, I HIGHLY recommend it…a RELATIONSHIP with Jesus Christ…not RELIGION. Religion will give you nothing more than a set of guide lines to try and help you earn your way to God…can’t happen. And it doesn’t have to because of what Christ did for you 2,000 years ago.

So back to the question that took us on this long journey…”what am I doing after graduation?” Whatever God tells me to do. At this point, I highly doubt I will be doing anything with my atmospheric science degrees accept to chase a storm or two. Shocker, huh? A change of heart that big only comes from God. He has taught me that “10 year plans” don’t work when walking by faith.

Out of all the different people in my life that will read this, some of you will agree with what I’ve said, some of you will be intrigued by what I’ve said, and some will completely disagree with what I’ve said. Whatever category you fall in I still love you. Whatever your stance, if you’re reading this, you are a part of my life somehow and my life is now Christ. That’s it. He’s all that I have and all that I am. He’s the reason my life’s not boring and that I even have a reason for a blog!

Sorry for all the references to Scripture without writing them all out, but this thing is long enough. If you’re interested in what these say, email me and I will type them all out for you. Or you can even go to www.biblegateway.com and get the entire Bible online!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kaycee, you just made me cry! Thank you for sharing your story; it's going to make so many differences. You are an amazing woman in Christ and I'm so proud of you. I love you.

6:50 AM

 
Blogger Hendrick Family said...

We love you, too Kaycee! It's been very neat to see you grow SO much in the short time I've known you. I love your blog. You really are a beautiful testimony that God is real and He does real big stuff in our lives.

10:52 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you Kaycee and who you have become. I was the one shaking my head and remembering when you were unhappy and I'm so glad you finally found what you were looking for. You are a great person and an extraordinary leader. Thanks for sharing your story. Love ya
Liza

12:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is exactly how God has used you and will use you so mightily. You make it real for everyone. None of us needs religion. Just a relationship with Jesus. He didn't use "churchy words," so why should we? He longs for us to talk to Him and listen to Him, just like any relationship that we desire, and then FOLLOW Him! Thank you for being so honest and allowing Him to bless us through you.

5:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kaycee--wow...I have so many feelings after reading your story. Your faith is living and breathing---and you are a true role model of living through Christ. Thank you for sharing your experiences. Miss you lots.

8:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kaycee, Everyone already pretty much said what I was going to leave but I am so proud of you and everything you accomplished. You are an amazing person and I am so blessed to have you in my life.

8:41 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kaycee this is Lacey. I really like your blog too! It's SO funny! LOL! I'm really proud of u too! Lots of Love!

7:26 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much KayCee. It was great. Good luck where ever you "go"!!

7:03 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home